Sliding towards insanity
 

 
The life (or lack thereof) of a UMD Computer Engineering major graduate
 
 
   
 
Monday, June 21, 2004
 
The summer: I work 95% of the time then use the other 5% to spend the money I make. At this rate I'm going to end up with a huge pile of stuff and no time left to use it. It's not a bad job, definitely a cut above tech support work, and it pays well. I'm just not used to the whole nine to five thing (plus commute).

Had a good D&D game here at my place last weekend. Didn't get too far plot-wise but it all worked out OK. I've started using fold-up paper walls on top of my gridded whiteboard to simulate dungeon areas; it's a nice effect, and REAL cheap. I highly recommend it to anyone doing a very indoor based fantasy RPG who uses miniatures.

Speaking of miniatures, it seems like I've been spending A LOT of my free time painting, lately. I enjoy it, and especially enjoy the finished products, but it really does take some effort. I've been looking into the new plastic D&D minis lately, but they just don't have the charm of painted metal. Oh well, might buy a dozen orcs or something in plastic anyway. Having a hand-painted character mini is one thing, but there's no way in hell I'm going to paint a dozen orcs worth a damn, though. I'm trying to grab all the old metal Chainmail minis I can while I can find them (god bless eBay), they should keep me more than busy for the rest of the summer. I've decided the Chainmail minis are definitely easier to paint than the Reaper minis (the other brand I use) and they still look quite good (in some cases, much better). The selection is pretty poor though, especially now that they're out of production. I've got a hitlist of minis I'm interested in though, and when one of them pops up...

I've definitely been spending more time on role-playing stuff than computer stuff lately; I think it's because I get enough computer-time at work. The new laptop is still working out great, though. I finally got my MX510 mouse (in blue) and it's amazing. I have an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 card (the new card Intel uses in Centrino that supports 802.11g) on the way, and am planning on buying a new wireless router before too long (next paycheck). The Netgear FWG114P has 802.11g support, WPA, a serial port for direct modem access, an SPI firewall, and a load of other goodies. Should be perfect for when Field and I move into the new apartment. It's a bit pricey at $150 (shipped), but it looks like a good, solid unit. If I'm getting paid a good amount, I'm willing to shell out for quality.

Well, I've got a few things left to do before bed. My schedule is a lot different when I've got to be at work at 9AM then when I was taking classes...

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives  
Counter provided by digits.com